Guantanamo Bay is a symbol of our nation’s use of torture. Closing the detention facility at Guantanamo is one of the steps needed to end U.S.-sponsored torture forever. Learn more about background information and ways in which the religious community has called for the closure of Guantanamo.
Letter to Secretary of Defense Hagel
In July, NRCAT joined coalition of organizations in a letter to Secretary of Defense Hagel requesting that videotapes of force-feedings at Guantanamo be disclosed. Hagel has ignored the letter. Read more here.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Write to your Members of Congress! Please ask them to vote against any effort to keep Guantanamo open by restricting transfers.
- Use NRCAT's Close Guantanamo Sermon Talking Points.
- Use NRCAT’s interfaith prayer and bulletin insert during your worship services.
- Use NRCAT's Guantanamo Fact Sheet.
- Display an anti-torture banner in your congregation – you can purchase a banner through our online store.
- Gather signed postcards after services.
- Organize a public screening of NRCAT’s video “Repairing the Brokenness: A Faithful Response to U.S.-sponsored Torture”
Make your voice heard
- Use this sample email to urge the President and Congress to close Guantanamo.
- Use our letter to the editor talking points to write to your local newspaper, calling for closure of the prison at Guantanamo.
- Send a Tweet to the President: .@BarackObama .@WhiteHouse Please keep your promise to close #Guantanamo. #CloseGitmo .@NRCATtweets