Guantanamo Bay is a symbol of our nation’s use of torture. Closing the detention facility at Guantanamo is one of the steps needed to end U.S.-sponsored torture forever. Learn more about background information and ways in which the religious community has called for the closure of Guantanamo.
How you can help:
Write to your Members of Congress! Please ask them to vote against any effort to keep Guantanamo open by restricting transfers.
- Use NRCAT's Close Guantanamo Sermon Talking Points.
- Use NRCAT’s interfaith prayer and bulletin insert during your worship services.
- Use NRCAT's Guantanamo Fact Sheet.
- Display an anti-torture banner in your congregation – you can purchase a banner through our online store.
- Gather signed postcards after services.
- Organize a public screening of NRCAT’s video “Repairing the Brokenness: A Faithful Response to U.S.-sponsored Torture”
Make your voice heard
- Use this sample email to urge the President and Congress to close Guantanamo.
- Use our letter to the editor talking points to write to your local newspaper, calling for closure of the prison at Guantanamo.
- Send a Tweet to the President: .@BarackObama .@WhiteHouse Please keep your promise to close #Guantanamo. #CloseGitmo .@NRCATtweets